The Historic Circuit

Ascertaining the exact date when the circuit was built in Mettet is not easy; it is well-known that a handful of bike enthusiasts in the 1920s had already tried out most of the area’s roads at the time, though, and on September 11, 1927, the first speed event was held at Pontaury in the Mettet hills.

Until 1931 at least, the 2.8-kilometre loop would have been in use and the average speeds reached at the time were achieved by aeroplane…at 90 kilometres per hour. In accordance with the FMB’s requirements, the circuit, which had become too challenging, would be extended in 1932 to follow the descent to Florennes before doubling back towards Mettet.

And like this, the so-called ‘diablo’ was born: it eventually stretched to 8.5 kilometres and the original St Donat square is now no more than a small junction made up of hairpin bends. From 1933, the circuit was reversed to run in a clockwise direction and, in 1934, the descent to Florennes was lengthened allowing top speeds of 170 kilometres per hour to be reached.

The Circuits Commission allowed Mettet to organise international races in 1935, which saw the start of Mettet’s heyday as year after year, its reputation as one of the world’s top circuits escalated.

And like this, the so-called ‘diablo’ was born: it eventually stretched to 8.5 kilometres and the original St Donat square is now no more than a small junction made up of hairpin bends. From 1933, the circuit was reversed to run in a clockwise direction and, in 1934, the descent to Florennes was lengthened allowing top speeds of 170 kilometres per hour to be reached.

The Circuits Commission allowed Mettet to organise international races in 1935, which saw the start of Mettet’s heyday as year after year, its reputation as one of the world’s top circuits escalated.

The Permanent Circuit

Thanks to his efficient management as ‘grandfather’ of the organising club family RUMESM and to the income generated from its flagship trials, Superbiker Michel Fiévet – club chairman for 35 years – was able to buy up land in small chunks with the aim of setting up a permanent circuit.

This dream became reality in 2010 when the present-day permanent circuit was officially opened. Its prowess in the motorsport world means the circuit is always packed out, with over 90% of its available day slots permanently booked up.